Friday, March 11, 2011

Money Matters

I have to admit that I'm not always the best at managing my money. I'm not one of those people who started saving for retirement the minute they got their first job, and I definitely didn't set up an account with an online stock trading site as soon as I turned 18 like one of my high school friends did. Most months I don't even attempt to balance my checkbook.

Lately I've started to feel a little guilty about my lack of financial savvy, so I've decided to get my act together. I'm going to start balancing that darn checkbook, open a savings account, and get more informed about my investing options so that I can stay financially stable (as much as possible) throughout my life. Luckily, one area where I'm in really good shape is my credit. My credit score is pretty high and I have no credit card debt. And I was never one of those people who ended up with 37 different credit cards because I jumped on every offer that came my way. (Yes, I do have friends who do this. Coincidentally, those are the same friends who have major credit card debt.) It's a relatively easy thing to stay on top of since it's so simple to get a free credit score these days.

So I've decided that if I can keep my credit in good shape, I can do the same in other areas of my financial life. Of course, if anyone has any tips or advice I could definitely use it.

No comments: