Monday, October 6, 2008

Sarah Palin Thinks We're Going To Hell

At a rally in California yesterday, Sarah Palin was nice enough to inform all of us women that if we don't support her, we are going to hell. And for good measure, she misquoted Madeleine Albright in order to blame her for the comments.



"I've gotta share with you, it's like kinda providential, yesterday what happened to me. I can use this today after that introduction from Shelly. I'm reading on my Starbucks mocha cup, okay? The quote of the day...you'll never believe what the quote was. It was Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State [crowd boos] and UN ambassador...Now she said it, I didn't. She said, 'There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women.'" [crowd cheers loudly, proving their hypocrisy since they just got done booing Madeleine Albright, who happens to be a woman]

Now, am I surprised that Sarah Palin thinks that women like us are going to hell? Not one bit. But I am a little surprised that she proudly stated it out loud. I did not think it was possible to have a lower opinion or lower expectations of her, but I guess we'll have to find the basement of the basement.

What does "supporting women" look like in Sarah Palin's world? Opposing equal pay for equal work, charging for rape kits, laughing while a fellow politician (and cancer survivor) is called fat, jealous, "a cancer" and "a bitch", opposing emergency contraception and abortion rights unless a woman's life is in danger, calling Hillary Clinton's mentions of the sexism that she faced in her campaign "whining", supporting a running mate who has done everything from voting against the Violence Against Women Act to making jokes about women being raped by apes and about a teenage girl being ugly, and so on. Based on that, I'm pretty comfortable saying that I choose hell over supporting her. Wouldn't a McCain/Palin administration be hell on earth for women anyway?

No comments: